An Easy-To-Use Portable Recorder with All New Mics and Breakthrough Wi-Fi Technology
The groundbreaking DR-22WL from TASCAM is the first portable recorder to include Wi-Fi for transport control, file transfer, and audio streaming to your smartphone or PC. Other innovations like the new Scene Dial make it easier than ever to capture great-sounding recordings and share them online. A set of stereo condenser microphones is arranged in true XY pattern for ideal stereo imaging. The eight-position Scene Dial selects recording settings for typical situations, or can be set to full manual for greater control.
Included in the DR-22WL is a Wi-Fi function for controlling its transport and transferring files to a smartphone or computer. A free app for iOS and Android controls the transport and transfers files for instant upload. For a recording beginner or experienced user looking for a great-sounding, portable recorder with Wi-Fi, the DR-22WL is the only choice.
Two Wi-Fi Models To Choose From
|Firmware V1.20||To Top|
The product improvement in Version 1.20 is the XRI (eXtended Recording Information) feature which embeds the DR-22WL/DR-44WL settings information into the BWF file. The BWF format audio file settings information, such as recorder name, recording level and input source can be included in the file. The "previous concert setting" can be easily reproduced.
In addition, a smartphone's GPS information can be embedded while connected to the recorder via Wi-Fi and using the TASCAM DR CONTROL app. The GPS information of the recording is very useful when making recordings in multiple locations, and the XRI data containing the GPS information is useful as a log when recording environmental sounds.
We are constantly improving the functionality of the TASCAM handheld line to make recording more enjoyable and convenient. A customer and recording enthusiast who asked "Please tell me how the sample sound on the website was recorded…" was the impetus for the development of the XRI feature. Input settings and recording level data are very important elements for maximizing the quality of a recording, and we saw massive potential in embedding them in the audio file. TASCAM has over 60 years of experience in the recording industry, and the XRI function is our latest innovation.
- Equipped with XRI (eXtended Recording Information) functionality that embeds GPS information and settings information in the recording file
- XRI is a function that stores the recording settings after each recording. This function allows the user to identify the recorder used, as well as the settings. XRI information can be displayed on XRI-compatible models and applications.
While using the DR CONTROL smartphone app, GPS information of the recording location can be embedded. This function is useful for outdoor sound-gathering recordings. XRI information is accessible on the main unit or from the DR CONTROL app.
XRI function supports BWF format recordings. Three modes of operation can be selected - OFF/ON/ON+GPS.
OFF:Extended recording information (XRI) is not recorded.
ON:Extended recording information (XRI) is recorded into the BWF file. The following information is included…
- MAKER(Maker Name):Recorder's brand name
- MODEL(Model Name):Recorder's model name
- FW VER.(Firmware Version):Recorder's Firmware version
- SOURCE(Input Source):Sound input method (input terminal or microphone)
- INPUT LV(Input Level Setting):Input level setting
- LOW CUT(Low Cut Filter Setting):Low cut filter setting
- LV CTRL(Level Control Setting):Recording level - automatic control function
- EFFECT(Effect Setting):Effect ON/OFF
ON+GPS:In addition to the above information, GPS information of where the recording was initiated (LATITUDE/LONGITUDE) is recorded.
XRI compatible models
* All images are captured from DR-44WL. DR-22WL has same menu and settings.
* With DR-44WL, XRI function can be used only in 4CH mode.
* XRI function is effective only in BWF format.
* Default is "ON." To use GPS information, change setting to "ON+GPS."
* XRI function is planned to be incorporated in more TASCAM recorders and applications. The specifications are available to other manufacturers considering incorporating this function into their products.
- Peak Mark function identifies locations of over-level peaks
- The Peak Mark function automatically places a mark 2 seconds before the detected peak (PEAK LED). This function quickly identifies where the peak was detected during recording, which is useful for post-recording confirmation. When there are no problems found after confirmation, the mark can be deleted. In the BWF format (in the same way as with other types of marks) the peak mark can utilized in corresponding DAWs such as SONAR.
* DR Series detects peaks at levels lower than 0dB, and the PEAK LED lights to simplify input level setting.
* New marks are not issued for 10 seconds after the previous peak mark.
- Protect function to safeguard important files
- The built-in Protect function prevents important recorded files from being mistakenly deleted. When the protect function is ON, files cannot be deleted by operating the main unit.
- Other improved features
- Version 1.20 Firmware functions have been improved based on customer feedback…
- Marks available during playback
- Mark Skip Mode option is added (ALL/MANUAL/LEVEL/TIME/PEAK/OFF)
- Single Mark deletion or All Mark deletion
- Empty folder deletion
High-Quality Condenser Microphones
A pair of studio-quality condenser microphones top the DR-22WL, arranged in a true XY pattern for detailed imaging and phase coherence. The mic capsules are build to withstand up to 120dB SPL without distorting. Record concerts and rehearsals with the confidence that your recording won't be ruined with clipping.
- Cardioid Condenser Mics in an X-Y Pattern
Cardioid condenser capsules are mounted in acoustically-tuned housings. As with all TASCAM recorders, the mic capsules were selected after extensive listening tests. The true X-Y pattern captures the stereo field in phase-alignment, for perfect imaging during playback.
- Designed To Handle High Sound Pressure Levels – Up to 120dB SPL
The design of the DR-22WL allows it to record loud sound sources, including rehearsals and concerts, without distortion. Up to 120 dB SPL means that a volume level over 10 times higher than the 105dB SPL maximum sound pressure of a movie theater can be captured without clipping. The high level capability also makes the DR-22WL ideal for sound effects gathering.
- Superior Microphone Preamp and A/D Converter for Quiet Operation
A programmable gain amplifier (PGA) is used to adjust the level of the audio inputs. In many devices, the audio codec level is adjusted to control levels. In the DR-22WL, the mic gain circuit is independent from the A/D converter for low noise performance as well as programmable gain (manual, automatic, or controlled over Wi-Fi.)
A CIRRUS LOGIC CS42L52 is used in the DR-22WL, a premium-quality audio codec. The A/D - D/A chip features both great audio performance and low power use for longer battery life. The built-in mics and the external inputs both pass through this low-noise audio input circuit.
|Innovative Scene Dial and Large LCD for Easy Operation||To TOP|
The DR-22WL is equipped with an 8-position Scene Dial, a simple system to optimize the recorder for common recording scenarios. Similar to a digital camera, the rotating dial has presets for recording instruments, voiceover, and other common subjects. An EZ mode sets levels automatically, and the manual mode allows you to dial in your own settings. Together with the large LCD display, the DR-22WL couldn't be simpler to use.
Scene Dial Optimizes the Recorder for Common Subjects
Similar to the mode dial on a camera, the scene dial makes it easy to preset the recorder to fit your subject. A full manual mode is also available for uses who want to set the recorder up themselves. [:EASY]
EZ mode makes recording simple for beginners. This option sets the auto level and 40Hz low-cut filter functions.
This scene is tailored for loud events like rehearsals and concerts. It automatically sets the limiter and 40Hz low-cut filter, and the trim level is set relatively low.
This scene optimized for live acoustic music, classical concerts and other unamplified performances. It uses the 40Hz low-cut filter.
The scene is works well for individual instruments. It engages the limiter to keep levels under control.
Designed for interview recording, voiceovers, and lectures, this scene records in mono and uses the auto level and 120Hz low-cut filter functions.
This scene allows all settings to be made manually. Use this one if you have recording experience or want finer control over recording settings.
This scene enables the overdubbing function, allowing songwriters to assemble a song by recording over their previous take.
The play function scene makes playback functions available like playback speed adjustment, useful for practice and transcription.
- Interface Features Large 128×128 LCD and 4 Function Keys
The 128×128 LCD, larger than previous TASCAM recorders, shows meters, settings and other information. Icons at the bottom visually display how the four function keys can be used. This interface reduces the need to dig through menus to find commonly-used recording functions.
- Dedicated Input level Control
The most crucial setting on any recorder is the input gain – finding the balance between too low (noise) and too high (clipping). The DR-22WL has a large input level knob right under your fingertips. You don't need to press and hold a button or search through a menu to change the input level.
|Remote Wi-Fi Control||To TOP|
TASCAM has revolutionized handheld recording with the new Wi-Fi control and transfer features. The DR-22WL creates its own Wi-Fi network with your iOS or Android phone, and a free app called DR Control controls remote operation without touching the unit. The app allows recording to be started and stopped, and can be used to check and adjust input levels. Any of the recording controls on the DR-22WL can be controlled over Wi-Fi.
Wi-Fi transmission range is about 65 feet (20m) – well beyond the reach of infrared remotes – so the recorder can be placed wherever the recording sounds best. Audio from the DR-22WL can also be streamed over Wi-Fi to check the recording. Plug headphones into your smartphone and listen to a near-realtime feed from the recorder.
- Simple Wi-Fi Connections Without a Router
The DR-22WL connects with smartphones and other Wi-Fi devices directly. There is no need for a Wi-Fi router network or other external equipment. Wi-Fi connections can be established simply by inputting the information shown in the app. Connection status can be checked with an LED on the unit as well as the app screen. Even if the Wi-Fi connection is interrupted, recording will not stop.
- Remote Control Using the Free DR Control App (iOS/Android)
The free DR Control app allows your iOS or Android phone to control the recorder from anywhere in the room. Start recording on-stage or from the back of the room, while placing the DR-22WL wherever the microphones sound best. Remote start also eliminates handling noise from pressing a button or moving the recorder.
In addition to recording, playback and other transport controls, DR Control can adjust the input levels, switch on the low-cut filter, change the mix, and more. A power-conservation mode is included to minimize battery consumption from Wi-Fi use.
- Wireless Streaming to Monitor the Recorder
With DR Control, audio from the DR-44WL can be broadcast via Wi-Fi to your smartphone for streaming playback. Even when the DR-44WL is in a place that is out of reach, this capability allows you to check audio from the headphone jack. Ensure that you're getting the sound you want without leaving your seat.
|Instantly Transfer Recordings to Your Smartphone or PC to Share Online||To TOP|
In addition to remote control, the DR-44WL allows you to wirelessly transfer recordings to your smartphone or laptop. Upload recordings to SoundCloud through the app, then publish that link to Facebook, Twitter, and other social media. Or simply email the file to friends.
* An Internet connection is necessary to upload files to the Internet from a smartphone.
- Dual-Format Recording Function Records both WAV and MP3 Files
Dual Format Recording simultaneously records WAV and MP3 files to the card. This allows you to have instant access to the MP3 file for online sharing, while retaining the uncompressed WAV file master recording for later use.
* Due to MP3 file specifications, this function can only be used with 16-bit 44.1/48kHz WAV formats. This function cannot be used with 24-bit or 96kHz WAV/BWF file formats.
- Share audio files from SoundCloud to other social networking services
After recording, transfer your files from the recorder to your smartphone using the TASCAM DR Control app. Files can be uploaded directly to SoundCloud, then you can share that link to Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ timelines with a single button. A free SoundCloud account can be created, giving you up to three hours of uploaded recordings.
* After files are transferred, the smartphone must be connected to the internet in order to upload to SoundCloud.
- Wirelessly Transfer Files to Your Computer
A free app for Mac and Windows called File Transfer allows you to move selected recordings from the DR-44WL to your computer over Wi-Fi.
|Automatic Features Streamline Recording Setup||To TOP|
Even as a professional recording device, the DR-22WL has numerous automatic functions that can make recording easier for anyone. Numerous automatic recording functions combine with functions that simplify file management.
- Peak Reduction and Limiter
- These functions automatically adjust the recording level in response to the input level. The peak reduction function automatically lowers the level if an input overload is detected, optimizing the recorded sound. The limiter reduces excessive input levels without changing the input level setting.
- Automatic Track Creation by Time
- The DR-44WL can automatically create a new file and continue recording without interruption when a set amount of time has elapsed. This function is convenient when recording for long periods of time. For example, when set to 5 minutes, a new file will be created automatically every 5 minutes when recording. These files can be combined later in your audio editing software for seamless playback. Manual file increment is also possible by pressing the Record button during recording.
- Automatic Track Creation by Level
- The DR-22WL can create a new track every time a level threshold is passed. This can split a concert recording into tracks, and can be useful when digitizing another recording like a cassette, DAT, or vinyl record.
- Automatic Mark Function
- Marks can be added to files when high levels or peaks are detected. When set to a level, marks can be added automatically at the points when songs end. When set to peak detection and used together with the peak reduction function, these marks will identify the points where peaks were detected – making it easy when using audio editing software on a computer. You can also add markers manually while recording.
- File Divide
- This function can divide files where marks are added. When used together with the automatic marking function, long recordings can automatically be divided into files with individual songs. Files can also be divided manually.
|Multitrack Mode For Serious Demo Production||To TOP|
The DR-22WL is a powerful tool for songwriters. In Overdub mode (DUB), the DR-22WL is able to record one track at a time on top of the previous recording. You can produce studio-quality music files using just the portable DR-22WL. A reverb effect is also included to sweeten your mix.
- Nondestructive Overdubbing function
- The overdubbing function allows additional recording on top of a previously recorded file, making the DR-22WL the perfect tool for songwriters. Capture a guitar riff idea, then add a melody on top of that. Record a jam in your rehearsal studio, then work out lyrics later. Create a file with an voiceover added to background music. A new file is created when overdubbing, so the original file is retained without changes.
- Internal Reverb Effect
- A stereo reverb effect can be added either during recording or playback. Presets for halls, rooms and other standard environments can be utilized to suit the user and type of music. This effect can be applied during recording and playback to give your recordings a sense of space.
|Features At A Glance||To TOP|
- Supported WAV recording formats: 44.1k/48k/96kHz, 16/24bit, WAV/BWF
- Supported MP3 recording format: 44.1k/48kkHZ, 32k to 320kbps, MP3
- Recording media: microSD/SDHC/SDXC card (up to 128GB SDXC card)
- Cardioid stereo condenser microphones fixed in X-Y position
- High sound pressure design captures levels up to 120dB SPL
- PGA (programmable gain amplifier) and Cirrus Logic CS42L52 audio codec for low-noise, high-performance audio recording
- Scene Dial Presets for instant setup of common recording applications
- Remote control, file transfer and streaming playback using 2.4GHz Wi-Fi
- Wi-Fi connects directly to smartphone without a router
- Full remote control using the free TASCAM app for iOS and Android
- Recorded audio can be posted directly to SoundCloud using the TASCAM DR Control app.
- Dual format recording function allows simultaneous recording of both WAV and MP3 files
- Automatic level optimization functions (Peak Reduction & Limiter)
- Low-cut filter with four selectable frequencies (40/80/120/220Hz)
- Pre-recording buffer records up to 2 seconds prior to starting recording
- Automatic track increment function that can be set according to the application (level, elapsed time or manual)
- Auto recording function that can detect the sound input signal level and automatically start recording
- Automatic mark function that adds marks according to set conditions (peak detection or manual)
- Speed change (VSA) function for adjusting the speed from 0.5 to 2.0 times (in 0.1 increments)
- A-B Loop playback function ideal for practicing music
- Automatic division function that divides files at marks (manual division also possible)
- Reverb effect for vocal and instrument resonance
- Automatic power saving function that prevents unnecessary waste of battery power
- Resume function that retains the last stop position when power is turned back ON
- File name format can be set to use a user-defined word or the date
- Audio files created on computers can be played (Only in formats compatible with this product)
- Built-in monaural speaker with an output of 0.3W
- 128×128 pixel oversized graphic LCD with backlight
- USB 2.0 High-speed file transfer to a computer
- Stereo mini headphone line output / Headphone output connector
- Powered by four AA batteries, USB bus power, or AC adapter
- Long-time operation of over ** hours is possible using just the internal batteries
- Strap -hole
- Tripod attachment screw-hole
- 4GB microSD card is included
- RoHS certified