Realizing the high stability, operational efficiency and audio quality that is possible with specialized equipment.
Two-channel master recorder/player optimized for the broadcast industry.
Latest firmware :V1.10
TASCAM's HS-2000 provides broadcast and post studios with the functions of timecode DAT on a reliable solid-state-based transport. Recordings are captured to a pair of Compact Flash cards, either individually or to both for redundancyConfidence Monitoring is available to listen to audio off the card while recording. In addition to recording and logging tasks, the HS-2000 includes On-air and monitor play modes.
Audio on the HS-2000 is captured as Broadcast WAV files, including a timestamp from the SMPTE input source. The transport can be controlled over RS-232C, RS-422, Parallel or LAN control. Balanced analog audio is interfaced through XLR connectors, and multi-channel AES/EBU digital I/O is available.
A color TFT touchscreen is used to change settings and view meters on the HS-2000, making the GUI simple to use. Three remote controls are available with a variety of flash start, transport and fader functions.
Please contact us for more information or to arrange a demonstration.
Master recorder/player optimized for the broadcast industry
- Confidence monitoring allows you to listen immediately to the signal as it is recorded
- Unlike the ordinaly recorders of recent years, the HS-2000, which has been designed with a focus on high-level professional use, includes a confidence monitoring function that lets you play back and listen to the file that is being recorded as it is being recoreded. This function is similar to using the repro-mode of open tape recording in the past. Since you are able to play the file back as it is recorded, you can identify problems with the audio right away.
- Mirror recording provides even greater certainty
Mirror recording can be said to be ideal regardless of whether or not you are recording to solid-state media. You can utilize the dual card slots of the HS-2000 for mirror recording to two CF cards.
- Timecode input and output are standard features
- Since this unit is designed for broadcast applications in which coordinated use with other devices is important, timecode input and output are standard features.
- Various types of external control can be used at the same time
Not only can you use various remote controls and external control interfaces, you can even use all of them at the same time. Since these units prioritize response to the most recent command signal received, complicated connections and interface devices are unnecessary.
- On-air mode, online function and other transmission features
These units also have excellent features for use as stereo broadcast playback devices, including functions specifically for broadcast transmission. Using the on-air mode, you can transmit files placed in the root folder of the CF card. The online playback function is like that of previous products and allows you to use separate circuits for monitoring and transmission even when using just one of these units.
The pursuit of operational efficiency
- Four operation modes that respond to the requirements of various conditions are included
The definition of "superior operability" depends on the use conditions and the operator. The HS-2000 includes four operation modes in order to respond to various conditions and user needs.
- Real-time operating system (RTOS) created to resist infection and other threats
- For the operating system, we have adopted a real-time operating system (RTOS) developed for use with real-time applications. This OS can respond to various needs of broadcasts that ordinary PC-based systems are unable to handle. In addition to quick startup and speedy execution, which are crucial prerequisites, this OS also has great resistance against infection by computer viruses, which is a concern when connected to networks and importing external data. Since you can connect these units to networks with peace of mind, the fundamental convenience of file-based operation has been fulfilled.
- Supported for Gigabit Ethernet enables flexibility and a wide-range of applications
Using a network, even more flexibility and a wider range of applications are possible. With support for 1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet, these units use the common file transfer protocol (FTP), which is not restricted to specific systems. As a result, you can access these units from computers running Windows, Macintosh, UNIX and many other operating systems. Files sent to systems can be stored and otherwise worked with in a variety of ways. In addition, a telnet remote control environment that works over networks is also supported. These features contribute to making user systems and workflows more efficient.
- Focus on quick and stable operation and security to eliminate user stress
In addition to using RTOS, we have considered operational security from a variety of angles. All of the connectors include locking mechanisms to prevent accidental disconnection. Moreover, the power button and other important keys have button guards. When these guards are unneeded, they can be removed and the unit can be used without them. Of course, the unit also has a panel lock function.
The pursuit of operability
- Touch-sensitive TFT color displays enable intuitive operation
The graphical user interface shared by the HS series enables intuitive and straightforward operation. The menus are sinple with only one level and you can return to the Home Screen with one touch when you complete making a setting. Compared to past products in which the amount of information on screen was limited, these units enable stress-free operation.
- Choose from a lineup of multiple remote controls according to needs
- The features that are needed differ according to the operating situation. In order to respond to these needs, we offer a lineup of multiple controllers. For transport control, we offer the RC-900, which has a 128-level optical aluminum jog dial and extremely durable transport keys that are equivalent to those used in our RC-9010S units. For flush starting applications we offer the RC-HS32PD, RC-HS20PD and RC-SS20 controllers.
Universal Remote Controller
Ideal for transport operation
Direct play Remote Controller
Ideal for flash-start (punching play)
Direct play Remote Controller
Ideal for flash-start (punching play)
- Support for VNC and the ability to use connected computers to check and control units
These units support Virtual Network Computing (VNC) over local area networks (LAN). You can view the screen of an HS-2000 on a computer connected to it on the same LAN. When doing so, you can also operate the unit's screen using a mouse. Our lineup also includes the IF-D4000VN, which is a device dedicated to VNC display. (Inquire for details.)
The pursuit of durability
- CF cards used as recording media (Ultra DMA supported)
CF cards that boast high durability because their contracts are not exposed are used for the recording media. High durability also results from using media that do not require rotating mechanisms. This helps realize recording and playback equipment with the critical trait of high reliability as well as resistance to vibrations and other features that allow them to be used in all types of situations, including field recording. Since they require little maintenance, they reduce expenses over time. Moreover this type of media makes audio file management and utilization easy. In order to provide CF cards especially for TASCAM devices that eliminate the internal structural variations that normally occur different production batches.
- Independent circuit boards for each connector prevent contact defects due to twisting and other causes
Since the layout includes one circuit board for each connector, not only do they boast excellent strength against twisting and pulling from cables, interference with other connectors is also suppressed. Since these systems are designed to be movable, if unexpected force is applied to cables when parts of the system are moved individually, their excellent resistance to these stresses can prevent accidents.
- Tough CANARE BNC connectors that are nut-tightened
- Unlike ordinary connectors that are fixed to circuit boards, the CANARE BNC connectors used in the HS-2000 are individually secured using nuts, providing superior strength against pulling, twisting and other forces.
- High-durability knobs use metal even in their stems
An aluminum materials is used in the HS-2000 DATA knob to prevent breaking and the reduction of operaility due to deterioration. Since this knob uses metal not only in the body of the knob for operation, but also in the stem that attaches the knob, it boasts excellent durability even in intense operations. It also makes helpful feedback "clicks" during operation.
The pursuit of high quality sound
- Components have been selected carefully through numerous listening evaluations
- In the development of the HS-2000 and other equipment with specifications that meet the demands of the broadcast industry, we have not only focused all the expertise that we have gained while developing professional audio equipment over decades, we have also conducted listening evaluations during the selection of individual components and made audio quality the standard when choosing parts. We conducted our listening evaluations in an audio room installed in our headquarters, studios and other locations.
- BurrBrown PCM1796 D/A converters
- In these units, we used BurrBrown PCM1796 digital to analog converters units because they have earned great praise for audio applications.
- JRC NJM5532 operational amplifier with an established reputation
We adopted JRC's NJM5532 op-amps, which have a great reputation for audio, after listening evaluations.
- Decoupling capacitors that contribute to power supply stability also selected carefully
- In audio equipment, a stable power supply is indispensable for providing high audio quality. We also conducted listening tests numerous times for the decoupling capacitors (bypass capacitors) that provide power to the audio circuits in order to select the ones that contribute the most to the audio quality.
- Power sections use high-capacity capacitors and achieve audio quality and high efficiency in compact space
The power sections use high-capacity capacitors in order to provide stable power supplies. For specifications that meet the requirements of the broadcast industry, in addition to providing high audio quality, we have also pursued the creation of power sections that are compact and very efficient. As a result, these units offer high audio quality in a compact 2U rack size that is easy to incorporate into existing setups.
- NEUTRIK metal-plated connectors allow little sound quality degradation over time
These units include metal-plated XLR connectors made by NEUTRIK that resist oxidization even over long periods of use and maintain high audio quality.
List of Features
- CF cards used as recording media (Ultra DMA supported)
- Dual CF card slots that can be used for mirror recording
- Simultaneous recording of up to two 192kHz/24bit tracks
- Confidence monitoring function (playback while recording)
- Five operation modes: timeline, take, playlist (single and dual) and on-air
- In timeline mode, recording and playback like a tape recorder is possible using a linear timeline
- In take mode, playback and flash-starting (punching play) in take units is possible
- In playlist mode, takes can be added to a list for playback in list order and flash starting (punching play)
- In on-air mode, files in the root directory can be used for on-air playback
- ONLINE key can be used for on-line playback and monitoring playback
- BWF and WAV formats supported
- RC-HS32PD, RC-HS20PD and RC-SS20 units (sold separately) can be used for flash starting (punching play)
- Flash starting (punching play) using parallel control and keyboards is possible
- Auto cue, auto ready and incremental play functions
- AES31 editing information can be imported and exported in timeline mode
- Jog and shuttle functions
- Intuitive operation is possible using graphical interface on TFT color touch screen
- XLR analog balanced inputs and outputs
- XLR AES/EBU digital input and output
- XLR analog monitoring outputs
- Headphones output
- XLR timecode input and output
- BNC video reference (NTSC/PAL black burst signals and HDTV Tri-level signals) and word clock input and output/thru
- Compatible with 48kHz pull-up/pull-down operation
- Files can be copied to connected USB flash drives
- Supports LAN (Gigabit Ethernet) use with FTP file transmission, telnet remote control and VNC
- Parallel remote control possible
- RS-232C serial remote control possible
- RS-422 (9-pin serial protocol) serial remote control possible
- Rack-mounting (2U) possible