Portable Handheld Recorder with Wi-Fi
The DR-22WL is the next generational model in the DR series, a series of linear PCM recorders that has been widely successful since its initial release.
The DR-22WL includes functions such as remote Wi-Fi control, playback monitoring, and file transfer.
Its simple design features an easy-to-use user interface that means anyone can enjoy a linear PCM with high sound quality.
As such, it is an optimal model for recording music with acoustic instruments, including strings, piano, and acoustic guitar.
Its simple operability and high-sound recording quality can also be used for other applications aside from music, including audio recording for DSLR camera shoots and recording interviews.
This model has been discontinued.
This model has been discontinued. Check DR-44WLB as your alternative option.
Low-noise audio recording with a designated remote control app
Installing our free app onto your smartphone will give you access to functions such as remote control and remote monitoring, allowing you to enjoy professional recording without having to directly handle the device.
In addition to playback and recording, meter display and changing recording settings are also possible to be controlled wirelessly.
As such, you can record audio even after setting the DR-22WL up in a place that is otherwise out of reach.
On top of the convenient recording process, the DR-22WL also lets you enjoy miking without restrictions, since you can freely select the microphone installation location to get the best acoustics.
Upload your audio on SoundCloud after completing recording via the app
Wireless file transfer over Wi-Fi is possible with the DR-22WL.
The specialized app coordinates with a music file sharing service, SoundCloud, meaning that users can transfer the file to their smartphones immediately following recording.
Then, the file can be uploaded on the spot to SoundCloud using the smartphone’s internet.
SoundCloud works well with other SNS services including Facebook, too.
This means that an audio file can also be posted on Facebook immediately following your live performance.
It goes without saying that the DR-22WL was developed to record audio in high sound quality, with its microphone components being carefully selected and adjusted after extensive listening tests conducted in the TASCAM acoustic testing facility.
With its simple operation, the DR-22WL will show users what convenient recording free from restrictions is like.
The Version 2.10 supports multiple languages display including English, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Russian, Chinese and Japanese. Also supports file name display in each language. DR-22WL/DR-44WL will provide higher usability for users of all over the world.
* Rename function of DR CONTROL supports English only. * Chinese will be available in Chinese version only. Other area version doesn't support Chinese display.
- Router mode has been added for Wi-Fi connection
- Sharing the Recorded Audio Files in other Apps and Cloud Services
- Renaming or Deleting the Files
- Renovated Graphic Design Allows Easy, Intuitive Operation
Selecting the newly added "VIA ROUTER" enables the wireless remote control operation by connecting your smartphone or tablet device to a Wi-Fi router installed in a studio or at home. Remote control is operable with email, map, or other apps and online services at the same time.
Selecting "TO DEVICE", on the other hand, allows direct, one-to-one connection with the DR-22WL/DR-44WL, and so the remote control function works in the outdoor environment where Wi-Fi router is not available. By letting the users choose the connection mode depending on their purpose and situation, this product supports a wide range of applications.
Ideal for indoor use where appropriate network connection has been established.
- Remote control distance range extension
- Increased stability for Wi-Fi connection
Ideal for outdoor use without a router.
- Easy setting
- Permission for network use is not required
* Audio transmission time and stability of the remote operation depend on the operating conditions or the connection status of the external access point.
* Apps for file sharing depend on the device OS or the type of installed apps.
* In Version2.00 or later, SoundCloud direct uploading function has lost. Because SoundCloud has removed the function. Please use a computer when you want to upload the file onto SoundCloud.
The BWF format audio file settings information, such as recorder name, recording level and input source can be included in the file.
The "previous concert setting" can be easily reproduced.
In addition, a smartphone's GPS information can be embedded while connected to the recorder via Wi-Fi and using the TASCAM DR CONTROL app.
The GPS information of the recording is very useful when making recordings in multiple locations, and the XRI data containing the GPS information is useful as a log when recording environmental sounds.
We are constantly improving the functionality of the TASCAM handheld line to make recording more enjoyable and convenient.
A customer and recording enthusiast who asked "Please tell me how the sample sound on the website was recorded…" was the impetus for the development of the XRI feature.
Input settings and recording level data are very important elements for maximizing the quality of a recording, and we saw massive potential in embedding them in the audio file.
TASCAM has over 60 years of experience in the recording industry, and the XRI function is our latest innovation.
Equipped with XRI (eXtended Recording Information) functionality that embeds GPS information and settings information in the recording file
This function allows the user to identify the recorder used, as well as the settings.
XRI information can be displayed on XRI-compatible models and applications.
While using the DR CONTROL smartphone app, GPS information of the recording location can be embedded.
This function is useful for outdoor sound-gathering recordings.
XRI information is accessible on the main unit or from the DR CONTROL app.
OFF:Extended recording information (XRI) is not recorded.
ON:Extended recording information (XRI) is recorded into the BWF file. The following information is included…
- MAKER(Maker Name):Recorder's brand name
- MODEL(Model Name):Recorder's model name
- FW VER.(Firmware Version):Recorder's Firmware version
- SOURCE(Input Source):Sound input method (input terminal or microphone)
- INPUT LV(Input Level Setting):Input level setting
- LOW CUT(Low Cut Filter Setting):Low cut filter setting
- LV CTRL(Level Control Setting):Recording level - automatic control function
- EFFECT(Effect Setting):Effect ON/OFF
XRI compatible models
『TASCAM DR CONTROL』
* All images are captured from DR-44WL. DR-22WL has same menu and settings.
* With DR-44WL, XRI function can be used only in 4CH mode.
* XRI function is effective only in BWF format.
* Default is "ON." To use GPS information, change setting to "ON+GPS."
* XRI function is planned to be incorporated in more TASCAM recorders and applications.
The specifications are available to other manufacturers considering incorporating this function into their products.
Peak Mark function identifies locations of over-level peaks
This function quickly identifies where the peak was detected during recording, which is useful for post-recording confirmation.
When there are no problems found after confirmation, the mark can be deleted.
In the BWF format (in the same way as with other types of marks) the peak mark can utilized in corresponding DAWs such as SONAR.
* DR Series detects peaks at levels lower than 0dB, and the PEAK LED lights to simplify input level setting.
* New marks are not issued for 10 seconds after the previous peak mark.
Protect function to safeguard important files
Other improved features
- Marks available during playback
- Mark Skip Mode option is added (ALL/MANUAL/LEVEL/TIME/PEAK/OFF)
- Single Mark deletion or All Mark deletion
- Empty folder deletion
High-Quality Condenser Microphones
The mic capsules are build to withstand up to 120dB SPL without distorting. Record concerts and rehearsals with the confidence that your recording won't be ruined with clipping.
Cardioid Condenser Mics in an X-Y Pattern
As with all TASCAM recorders, the mic capsules were selected after extensive listening tests.
The true X-Y pattern captures the stereo field in phase-alignment, for perfect imaging during playback.
Designed To Handle High Sound Pressure Levels – Up to 120dB SPL
Up to 120 dB SPL means that a volume level over 10 times higher than the 105dB SPL maximum sound pressure of a movie theater can be captured without clipping.
The high level capability also makes the DR-22WL ideal for sound effects gathering.
Superior Microphone Preamp and A/D Converter for Quiet Operation
In many devices, the audio codec level is adjusted to control levels.
In the DR-22WL, the mic gain circuit is independent from the A/D converter for low noise performance as well as programmable gain (manual, automatic, or controlled over Wi-Fi.)
A CIRRUS LOGIC CS42L52 is used in the DR-22WL, a premium-quality audio codec.
The A/D - D/A chip features both great audio performance and low power use for longer battery life.
The built-in mics and the external inputs both pass through this low-noise audio input circuit.
Innovative Scene Dial and Large LCD for Easy Operation
Similar to a digital camera, the rotating dial has presets for recording instruments, voiceover, and other common subjects.
An EZ mode sets levels automatically, and the manual mode allows you to dial in your own settings.
Together with the large LCD display, the DR-22WL couldn't be simpler to use.
Scene Dial Optimizes the Recorder for Common Subjects
A full manual mode is also available for uses who want to set the recorder up themselves.
[:EASY] EZ mode makes recording simple for beginners. This option sets the auto level and 40Hz low-cut filter functions.
[:LOUD] This scene is tailored for loud events like rehearsals and concerts. It automatically sets the limiter and 40Hz low-cut filter, and the trim level is set relatively low.
[:MUSIC] This scene optimized for live acoustic music, classical concerts and other unamplified performances. It uses the 40Hz low-cut filter.
[:INSTRUMENT] The scene is works well for individual instruments. It engages the limiter to keep levels under control.
Designed for interview recording, voiceovers, and lectures, this scene records in mono and uses the auto level and 120Hz low-cut filter functions.
This scene allows all settings to be made manually. Use this one if you have recording experience or want finer control over recording settings.
This scene enables the overdubbing function, allowing songwriters to assemble a song by recording over their previous take.
The play function scene makes playback functions available like playback speed adjustment, useful for practice and transcription.
Interface Features Large 128×128 LCD and 4 Function Keys
Icons at the bottom visually display how the four function keys can be used.
This interface reduces the need to dig through menus to find commonly-used recording functions.
Dedicated Input level Control
The DR-22WL has a large input level knob right under your fingertips.
You don't need to press and hold a button or search through a menu to change the input level.
Remote Wi-Fi Control
The DR-22WL creates its own Wi-Fi network with your iOS or Android phone, and a free app called DR Control controls remote operation without touching the unit.
The app allows recording to be started and stopped, and can be used to check and adjust input levels.
Any of the recording controls on the DR-22WL can be controlled over Wi-Fi.
Wi-Fi transmission range is about 65 feet (20m) – well beyond the reach of infrared remotes – so the recorder can be placed wherever the recording sounds best.
Audio from the DR-22WL can also be streamed over Wi-Fi to check the recording.
Plug headphones into your smartphone and listen to a near-realtime feed from the recorder.
Simple Wi-Fi Connections Without a Router
There is no need for a Wi-Fi router network or other external equipment.
Wi-Fi connections can be established simply by inputting the information shown in the app.
Connection status can be checked with an LED on the unit as well as the app screen.
Even if the Wi-Fi connection is interrupted, recording will not stop.
Remote Control Using the Free DR Control App (iOS/Android)
Start recording on-stage or from the back of the room, while placing the DR-22WL wherever the microphones sound best.
Remote start also eliminates handling noise from pressing a button or moving the recorder.
In addition to recording, playback and other transport controls, DR Control can adjust the input levels, switch on the low-cut filter, change the mix, and more.
A power-conservation mode is included to minimize battery consumption from Wi-Fi use.
* Functions that can hinder operation have been excluded from wireless control
Wireless Streaming to Monitor the Recorder
Even when the DR-44WL is in a place that is out of reach, this capability allows you to check audio from the headphone jack.
Ensure that you're getting the sound you want without leaving your seat.
* The string playback function is intended for checking audio that has already been recorded.
Instantly Transfer Recordings to Your Smartphone or PC to Share Online
Upload recordings to SoundCloud through the app, then publish that link to Facebook, Twitter, and other social media. Or simply email the file to friends.
* An Internet connection is necessary to upload files to the Internet from a smartphone.
Dual-Format Recording Function Records both WAV and MP3 Files
This allows you to have instant access to the MP3 file for online sharing, while retaining the uncompressed WAV file master recording for later use.
* Due to MP3 file specifications, this function can only be used with 16-bit 44.1/48kHz WAV formats. This function cannot be used with 24-bit or 96kHz WAV/BWF file formats.
Share audio files from SoundCloud to other social networking services
Files can be uploaded directly to SoundCloud, then you can share that link to Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ timelines with a single button.
A free SoundCloud account can be created, giving you up to three hours of uploaded recordings.
* Your smartphone must support Wi-Fi connections. Since direct connection is used, connection with other Wi-Fi networks will not be possible when in use.
* After files are transferred, the smartphone must be connected to the internet in order to upload to SoundCloud.
Wirelessly Transfer Files to Your Computer
* The computer must support Wi-Fi connections. Since direct connection is used, connection with other Wi-Fi networks will not be possible when in use.
Automatic Features Streamline Recording Setup
Numerous automatic recording functions combine with functions that simplify file management.
Peak Reduction and Limiter
The peak reduction function automatically lowers the level if an input overload is detected, optimizing the recorded sound.
The limiter reduces excessive input levels without changing the input level setting.
Automatic Track Creation by Time
This function is convenient when recording for long periods of time. For example, when set to 5 minutes, a new file will be created automatically every 5 minutes when recording.
These files can be combined later in your audio editing software for seamless playback.
Manual file increment is also possible by pressing the Record button during recording.
Automatic Track Creation by Level
This can split a concert recording into tracks, and can be useful when digitizing another recording like a cassette, DAT, or vinyl record.
Automatic Mark Function
When set to a level, marks can be added automatically at the points when songs end.
When set to peak detection and used together with the peak reduction function, these marks will identify the points where peaks were detected – making it easy when using audio editing software on a computer.
You can also add markers manually while recording.
When used together with the automatic marking function, long recordings can automatically be divided into files with individual songs.
Files can also be divided manually.
Multitrack Mode For Serious Demo Production
In Overdub mode (DUB), the DR-22WL is able to record one track at a time on top of the previous recording.
You can produce studio-quality music files using just the portable DR-22WL.
A reverb effect is also included to sweeten your mix.
Nondestructive Overdubbing function
Capture a guitar riff idea, then add a melody on top of that.
Record a jam in your rehearsal studio, then work out lyrics later. Create a file with an voiceover added to background music.
A new file is created when overdubbing, so the original file is retained without changes.
Internal Reverb Effect
Presets for halls, rooms and other standard environments can be utilized to suit the user and type of music.
This effect can be applied during recording and playback to give your recordings a sense of space.
Features at a Glance
- Supported WAV recording formats: 44.1k/48k/96kHz, 16/24bit, WAV/BWF
- Supported MP3 recording format: 44.1k/48kkHZ, 32k to 320kbps, MP3
- Recording media: microSD/SDHC/SDXC card (up to 128GB SDXC card)
- Cardioid stereo condenser microphones fixed in X-Y position
- High sound pressure design captures levels up to 120dB SPL
- PGA (programmable gain amplifier) and Cirrus Logic CS42L52 audio codec for low-noise, high-performance audio recording
- Scene Dial Presets for instant setup of common recording applications
- Remote control, file transfer and streaming playback using 2.4GHz Wi-Fi
- Wi-Fi connects directly to smartphone without a router
- Full remote control using the free TASCAM app for iOS and Android
- Recorded audio can be posted directly to SoundCloud using the TASCAM DR Control app.
- Dual format recording function allows simultaneous recording of both WAV and MP3 files
- Automatic level optimization functions (Peak Reduction & Limiter)
- Low-cut filter with four selectable frequencies (40/80/120/220Hz)
- Pre-recording buffer records up to 2 seconds prior to starting recording
- Automatic track increment function that can be set according to the application (level, elapsed time or manual)
- Auto recording function that can detect the sound input signal level and automatically start recording
- Automatic mark function that adds marks according to set conditions (peak detection or manual)
- Speed change (VSA) function for adjusting the speed from 0.5 to 2.0 times (in 0.1 increments)
- A-B Loop playback function ideal for practicing music
- Automatic division function that divides files at marks (manual division also possible)
- Reverb effect for vocal and instrument resonance
- Automatic power saving function that prevents unnecessary waste of battery power
- Resume function that retains the last stop position when power is turned back ON
- File name format can be set to use a user-defined word or the date
- Audio files created on computers can be played (Only in formats compatible with this product)
- Built-in monaural speaker with an output of 0.3W
- 128×128 pixel oversized graphic LCD with backlight
- USB 2.0 High-speed file transfer to a computer
- Stereo mini headphone line output / Headphone output connector
- Powered by four AA batteries, USB bus power, or AC adapter
- Long-time operation of over ** hours is possible using just the internal batteries
- Strap -hole
- Tripod attachment screw-hole
- 4GB microSD card is included
- RoHS certified
You might also like
|microSD card(64MB to 2GB),
microSDHC card(4GB to 32GB),
microSDXC card(48GB to 128GB)
|SD card(64MB to 2GB),
SDHC card(4GB to 32GB),
SDXC card(48GB to 128GB)
|Quantization bit rate
|Recording bit rate
|Playback bit rate
|32kbps to 320kbps
|Number of channels
|Mono (Up to 4 files)
Stereo (Up to 2 files)
Stereo (1 file) + Mono (Up to 2 files)
|Mono (Up to 4 files)
|EXT MIC/LINE IN
|3.5mm(1/8') stereo mini jack,
Plug-in power Compatible
6.3mm(1/4') TRS standard jack,
Phantom Power Compatible
|10k ohms or more
|2.2k ohms or more
|Nominal Input Level
|Maximum Input Level
|EXT IN [MIC]
|Nominal Input Level
|Maximum Input Level
|EXT IN [LINE]
|Nominal Input Level
|Maximum Input Level
|3.5mm(1/8') stereo mini jack
|Nominal Output Level
|-14dBV(10k ohm load)
|Maximum Output Level
|+2dBV(10k ohm load)
|USB2.0 HIGH SPEED mass storage class
|IEEE 802.11b/g/n(2.4GHz only))
|Simple access point (Limited AP)
|Tripod attachment screw-hole
|1/4' Tripod attachment screw-hole
|2 AA batteries (alkaline or NiMH),
USB bus power from a computer,
AC adapter (TASCAM PS-P515U, sold separately)
|4 AA batteries (alkaline or NiMH),
USB bus power from a computer,
Dedicated AC adapter (GPE053B supplied with the unit)
|Battery operation time
|WAV, 44.1 kHz, 16 bit
|Alkaline batteries (EVOLTA)
|About 17.5 hours (With built-in mic)
|About 16 hours (When MIC input is selected, phantom is not used)
|About 19 hours (With built-in speaker)
|Ni-MH batteries (eneloop)
|About 13.5 hours (With built-in mic)
|About 12 hours (When MIC input is selected, phantom is not used)
|About 14.5 hours (With built-in speaker)
|6.1" H x 2.1" W x 1.4" D
(155mm H x 52.2mm W ×36.6mm D)
|6.3" L x 3.1" W x 1.7" H
(79mm L ×162.2mm W × 42.5mm H)
|6.0oz including batteries (170g) /
4.3oz without batteries (123g)
|12.2 oz including batteries (346g) /
8.8oz without batteries (251g)
|4GB microSD card (in the unit), USB cable, 2 AA batteries for confirming operation, Owner's Manual (including warranty)
|AC adapter (GPE053B), 4GB microSD card with adapter (in the unit), USB cable (80 cm), 4 AA batteries for confirming operation, Fur windscreen, Mic stand adapter, Hot shoe adapter, Soft case, Owner's Manual (including warranty)
|20Hz to 20kHz +1dB/-3dB (Fs 44.1kHz, EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)
20Hz to 22kHz +1dB/-3dB (Fs 48kHz, EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)
20Hz to 40kHz +1dB/-3dB (Fs 96kHz, EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)
|0.05% or less (Fs 44.1/48/96kHz, EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)
|92dB or more (Fs 44.1/48/96kHz, EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)
Supported OS' (PC)
WindowsWindows 10 (May 2020 Update) , Windows 8.1 , Windows 7
MacmacOS Catalina , macOS Mojave , macOS High Sierra (10.13)
Supported Media / OtherSupported Media
dr22wl_tested_media_list.pdf 83.2 KB
|Latest version info
|TASCAM DR CONTROL for Android (Android 10 - 13)
|TASCAM DR CONTROL for Android (Android 6 - 9)
|TASCAM DR CONTROL for iOS
|TASCAM DR FILE TRANSFER
- Android 13 is now supported.
- When updating firmware to V2.00 or later:
- Firmware V2.00 or later cannot be updated via the TASCAM DR CONTROL app.
Please proceed to update the firmware manually through the DR unit.
- For users using V1.12 or earlier versions:
- When updating firmware V1.12 to V1.14 or later, an error will occur and the firmware will not be updated normally.
Please update it to V1.13 once before updating your unit to the latest firmware available.
Notices About Products
|XRI Specification Document
|TASCAM DR FILE TRANSFER Owner's Manual
|Reference Manual V2.10 (English)
|TASCAM DR CONTROL Reference Manual V2.00
|Owner's Manual Addendum V2.00
|TASCAM DR CONTROL Owner's Manual
|Owner's Manual Addendum V1.20
Supported Media / Other
Some (not all) Android devices have a setting called "Avoid No Internet Connections." This is found in the Wi-Fi settings under Advanced. It tells the device not to "use a Wi-Fi network unless it has an Internet connection." Uncheck this box.
There are 2 update files used for the DR-44WL (and DR-22WL), system and Wi-Fi.
To update the System, press MENU and >> while powering on to go into PROGRAM UPDATE mode.
To update the Wi-Fi, press 4 and >> while powering on to go into Wi-Fi F/W UPDATE mode.
The list of available files will show both system and WiFi files, so choosing the wrong one for the current update mode results in the "ERROR Product" message.
Make sure there is a formatted SD/microSD card in the unit and that you have a Standard USB 2.0 Type-A to micro-B DATA cable (not simply a charging cable) connected between the TASCAM unit and your computer. Occasionally a user will forget that a formatted microSD card must be in the unit. However, 1 times out of 10 when the card is not the issue, having the wrong cable type ends up being the culprit. This is because there is no easy way to differentiate between the two types. You must specify this to the vendor you are purchasing the cable from.
You need to "unzip" the files that you download, ending in ".zip" These files are compressed by the server to make your download times as quick as possible.
On Mac OSX, double-click the file to expand it.
On Windows OS, right-click the file and "Extract All."
The DR-44WL has a blue LED that shows the Wi-Fi status. Here are the possible mesages from the LED:
- OFF -> No WiFi active.
- Blinking continuously -> WiFi active, but no control app connected.
- Solid ON -> WiFi active and connected to a control app.
- Brief blink -> connected, command received.
Note that the DR-44WL will shut down its WiFi when the battery level gets low, to maximize the remaining record time.