Four Track Digital Audio Recorder and USB Audio Interface
Versatile four-track audio recorder for cinema, music, podcasting and any other application. Easy-to-use compact design with a high-performance feature set and versatile audio I/O, all to produce professional content.
for orders $199 and up.
WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm - www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
- Recording media : SD card (64MB to 2GB), SDHC card (4GB to 32GB), SDXC card (up to 128GB)
- Number of channels : 4-channel (2 Stereo)
- Bulit-in microphones : Unidirectional, Stereo (switchable between A-B and X-Y positions)
- Power : 3 AA Batteries, USB bus power, AC 100 to 240V (optional AC Adapter)
- Portable recorder for musicians, DSLR filmakers, podcasting, and field recording
- Dual condenser microphones for A/B or XY stereo recording
- XLR/TRS combo inputs (with phantom power) for your own mics or instruments
- Record up to 4 channels simultaneously
- 2-in/2-out USB audio interface for Mac and PC
- MS Decoding for Mid-side recording techniques
- Compatible with RC-3F foot switch and RC-10 wired remote (sold separately)
- Dictation mode and Auto Recording mode simplify certain recording tasks
- One-touch user interface with Quick Menu button for most functions
- Up to 17.5 hours of operation from 2 x AA batteries
- Supports high-capacity microSDXC card media for hours of recording time
- AA alkaline batteries ×3
- Tilt foot
- Owner's Manual (warranty included)
- TASCAM ID registration guide
Professional live capture: line level input
Dual Neutrik® XLR/TRS combo jacks support both mic-level and +4dBu line-level. These inputs can accept balanced microphone or line level from Mixers or the FOH console. The microphone preamp includes +48V phantom power and plenty of gain for detailed recordings with condenser microphones, as well as electret type microphones. Using the stereo built-in microphones, you can capture ambient sound of the audience while recording direct from an external console, which is ideal for capturing live performances.
Wide covering range: from whispering voice to jet engine
DR-40X allows high-quality recording with its stereo built-in condenser microphones. Every detail is captured from small whispers to loud sounds up to 125dB SPL. These built-in microphones are adjustable unidirectional microphones for recording in an X-Y pattern for tight stereo imaging, or in an A-B pattern for a more ambient recording.
Adjustable microphone for preferred stereo image.
DR-40X is equipped with adjustable unidirectional microphones that can be used for recording in both the A-B position and X-Y position. Advanced microphone placing allows for a wide stereo sound recording or a clear stereo sound recording with less phase difference, making it possible to achieve professional quality recordings.
Turn your room into a studio - in a minute.
Connecting to a PC using USB Audio interface mode, and DR-40X becomes a tool for voiceover work, live streaming and songwriting with studio-quality audio.
Built-in microphones work as USB microphones.
Back up your transcription work: record and play with one unit
Writing down what you hear - Easier said than done, but it is actually easy with DR-40X. In addition to its capability to capture crisp voice recording, DR-40X can help you with its Jump back function, variable Speed function and equalizer preset for human voice.
Four-track recording mode gives you several options to record
In addition to normal stereo channel recording and Dual Recording mode, DR-40X has "4CH Mode" that can record two different stereo feeds simultaneously. The combination of the sources are flexible; recording the built-in microphones along with a pair of external Mics such as close-up and ambient microphones, or recording the built-in Mics along with a balanced line input such as the feed from a mixer along with the sound in the room.
Safety track for unpredictable situation
Film-makers and videographers often experience sudden audio volume spikes during filming. An actor could suddenly scream, or a documentary subject could do almost anything.
DR-40X has a Dual Recording mode that captures a copy of your take but at a lower level, as a safety track in case of sudden distortion. Also, Auto recording function can detect the sound input signal level and automatically start recording. The Pre-recording function with up to 2 seconds pre-record provides fail-safe protection.
Still safe if it is louder than you thought.
Peak Reduction works in rehearsal mode or in record. Even if the sound or performance is louder than the sound check you're safe. Combined with Auto level and Limiter for preventing distortion, you never have to worry.
No need to go through "take 2" all over again
If you don't like the last part of a phrase you just recorded with your guitar, or if you change your mind and want to rephrase narration, the "Overwrite mode" is exactly what you need. Overwrite mode allows punch-in recording from a desired point. It is destructive editing with one level of undo.
The overdubbing function allows for Overdub Recording while playing a previously recorded file. This allows you to record other parts such as a guitar solo over a recording previously made such as at a rehearsal studio. Overdubbing creates a new file, leaving the original file unaffected, making it easy to re-record.
192 Hours. This is how long you can record CD-quality sound with single SDXC card.
DR-40X support a SDXC card, which can record longer with larger data capacity. If you record one stereo file in 44.1kHz/ 16bit CD quality, 128GB card holds 192 hours maximum. In MP3/ 320kbps, it can record up to 896 hours. (that is 37 days!).
Features at a Glance
- High-quality unidirectional stereo condenser microphones that can record in A-B and X-Y positions
- XLR/TRS inputs compatible with +4dBu line level / +48V
- 4-channel mode that can be used for dual recording and nondestructive overdub recording, etc.
- Support multiple languages for menu (ENG/FRA/DEU/ITA/ESP/RUS/PRT/JPN/CHI/KOR)
- Overwrite function for Punch-In recording with one level of Undo
- Functions as a 2in/ 2out USB Audio Interface for Mac, PC or iOS recording
- Dictation mode designed for human voice recording and transcription
- MS decoding function making it possible to use M-S microphones
- Optional RC-3F foot switch and RC-10 wired remote control can be connected
- Long-time operation of maximum 18 hours is possible using just the internal batteries
- Reverb effect
- Auto recording function
- Proven high sound pressure design for capturing loud sounds of up to 125dB SPL
- Peak reduction function that detects peaks and automatically sets the optimal level
- Self timer recording function
- Seamless gain control
- Low-cut filter with three levels (40/80/120Hz)
- Speed change (VSA) function for adjusting the speed from 0.5 to 2.0 times (in 0.1 increments)
- Level align feature that prevents uneven volume levels
- Equalizer setting for adjusting playback sound quality
- Divide/delete functions
- Loop/repeat playback function that is convention for practicing music and studying languages
- Resume function that retains the last stop position and starts playback from that position when power is turned back ON
- Jump-back playback function that skips back a preset number of seconds during playback
- QUICK menu button for easy access to various functions
- High-quality 24-bit/96kHz WAV/BWF linear PCM and MP3
- SD/ SDHC/ SDXC (up to 128GB) can be used for recording media
- Mark function that can set up to 99 points for a single track
- Audio files created on computers can be played (Only in formats compatible with this product)
- Built-in monaural speaker with an output of 0.3W
- Pre-recording buffer that can record up to 2 seconds prior to starting recording
- When a predetermined maximum file size is reached, a new file is created to continue recording
- Track increment creates new files at arbitrary locations during recording
- File name format can be set to use a user-defined word or the date
- The first six characters of the file name for recording can be set freely
- Playlist function
- A chromatic tuner is equipped which is helpful for practicing musical instruments
- Stereo mini line output / Headphone output connector
- 128×64 pixel graphic LCD with backlight
- High-speed file transfer to a computer using USB 2.0
- Powered by 3 AA batteries, USB bus power, or optional AC adapter (PS-P520E)
- Rubber feet for improving acoustic properties during desktop recordings are included
- Tripod attachment screw-hole built in to the unit
You might also like
|Recording Media||SD card (64MB to 2GB), SDHC card (4GB to 32GB), SDXC card (up to 128GB)|
|File System||FAT16/32, exFAT|
|Recording File Format|
|WAV / BWF|
|Sampling Frequency||44.1k / 48k / 96k Hz|
|Bit-depth||16 / 24-bit|
|Sampling Frequency||44.1k / 48k Hz|
|Recording Bit-rate||32k / 64k / 96k / 128k / 192k / 256k / 320k bps|
|Playback Bit-rate||32k to 320k bps, VBR, ID3TAG Ver. 2.4|
|Number of Channels||4-channel (2 Stereo)|
|Playback speed control||0.5 to 2.0 times (in 0.1 increments) * 44.1k/48kHz only|
|Built-in Microphone||Unidirectional, Stereo (switchable between A-B and X-Y positions)|
|EXT MIC/LINE IN|
|Connector||XLR/TRS Combo jack (1: GND, 2: HOT, 3: COLD)|
|Nominal Input Level||-19dBV (MIC) / +4dBu (LINE)|
|Maximum Input Level||-3dBV (MIC) / +20dBu (LINE)|
|Input Impedance||2.2kΩ (MIC) / 10kΩ (LINE)|
|Connector||1/8" (3.5mm) Stereo Mini jack (Unbalanced)|
|for LINE connection|
|Nominal Output Level||-14dBV (10kΩ load)|
|Maximum Output Level||+2dBV (10kΩ load)|
|for Headphones connection|
|Maximum Output Power||20mW + 20mW (32Ω load)|
|Connector||USB Micro B-type|
|Format||USB2.0 HIGH SPEED|
|Built-in Speaker||0.3W, Mono|
|Low-cut Filter||40 / 80 / 120Hz|
|Chromatic Tuner||C1 to B6, A4 = 435Hz to 445Hz (in 1Hz increments)|
|Effector||6 presets (Hall 1, Hall 2, Room, Studio, Plate 1, Plate 2)|
|Tripod attachment screw-hole||1/4" Tripod attachment screw-hole|
|Power||3 AA Batteries, USB bus power, AC 100 to 240V (optional AC Adapter)|
|Power Consumption||1.7 W (Max)|
|Battery Operation Time
|Alkaline (EVOLTA)||approx. 18 hours (2ch WAV, 44.1kHz, 16-bit, using Built-in Microphone, JEITA)|
|Ni-MH (eneloop)||approx. 16 hours (2ch WAV, 44.1kHz, 16-bit, using Built-in Microphone, JEITA)|
|Dimensions (W×H×D)||2.75" × 6.1" × 1.37" / 70 × 155 × 35 mm|
|Weight||8.3 oz. / 213 g|
|Fs 44.1kHz||20Hz to 20kHz, +0/-1dB (EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)|
|Fs 48kHz||20Hz to 22kHz, +0/-1dB (EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)|
|Fs 96kHz||20Hz to 40kHz, +0/-1dB (EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)|
|Total Harmonic Distortion||0.01% or less (Fs 44.1k/48k/96kHz, EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)|
|Signal-to-Noise Ratio||94 dB or higher (Fs 44.1k/48k/96kHz, EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)|
Computer system requirements
|Compatible computers||Windows computer with a USB 2.0 (or higher)|
|Compatible computers||Mac with a USB 2.0 (or higher)|
* Verified with Intel and Apple Silicon (M1 and M2) hardware
WindowsWindows 10 2022 Update (Version 22H2) , Windows 11 2022 Update (Version 22H2) , Windows 11 (Version 21H2) , Windows 10 (November 2021 Update) , Windows 10 (May 2021 Update) , Windows 10 (October 2020 Update) , Windows 10 (May 2020 Update) , Windows 8.1 , Windows 7
MacmacOS Ventura , macOS Monterey , macOS Big Sur , macOS Catalina , macOS Mojave , macOS High Sierra (10.13) , macOS Sierra (10.12)
iOSiPadOS 17 New , iOS 17 New , iOS 16 , iPadOS 16 , iOS 15 , iPadOS 15 , iPadOS 14 , iOS 14 , iPadOS 13 , iOS 13 , iOS 12 , iOS 11
Supported Media / OtherSD Supported Media
dr40x_tested_media_list_.pdf 86.5 KB
|Latest version info|
|ASIO Driver for Windows||V1.00|
- Chinese fonts that comply with the GB18030-2022 standard are now supported.
- MARK operations when playing and stopped would not be saved in files. This has been fixed.
- Operation stability has been improved in other ways.
Notices About Products
|ASIO Driver Installer V1.00 for Windows||01-28-2019||10.8 MB|
Supported Media / Other
|SD Supported Media||09-29-2023||86.5 KB|
|High resolution images||07-17-2019||71.3 MB|
|DR-40x Leaflet||04-25-2019||268.8 KB|
When your device is turned on and you are looking at the main screen, push the REC MODE button to make sure your record mode is set to Stereo. Press the – key once to highlight the source and push the FF key once to highlight INT STEREO. Use the + key to change to EXT IN L/R then press the HOME/STOP key. Press the REC button once and the REC light will blink indicating that your unit is now in REC standby mode. At this point you can adjust the input sensitivity from the input level buttons on the left side of the unit and press the REC button again when ready to start the recording. Press the stop button when finished. If you are using a phantom powered mic, don't forget to turn the switch on the side of the unit to mic + phantom.
Make sure there is a formatted SD/microSD card in the unit and that you have a Standard USB 2.0 Type-A to micro-B DATA cable (not simply a charging cable) connected between the TASCAM unit and your computer. Occasionally a user will forget that a formatted microSD card must be in the unit. However, 1 times out of 10 when the card is not the issue, having the wrong cable type ends up being the culprit. This is because there is no easy way to differentiate between the two types. You must specify this to the vendor you are purchasing the cable from.
Only notarized applications can now be installed on Mac OS Catalina.
Please download again the application installer from the download tab on the respective product page and try installing it again.